My Blog List

Wednesday 9 October 2019

Crunchy Gearbox

 My friend Tony bought a very tidy Spada a couple of years ago with the owner telling him " there's a very nasty noise in 5th gear" Having dropped the gearbox off with me I investigated to find wear on the 5th gear mainshaft and the 5th on the layshaft with also a some chipped teeth on the layshaft fixed gears. There was also some damage to the inside of the casing.
  I took the end cover to my welder with a old bearing half inserted thinking it might be used to keep the basic shape. As it turned out he said " that the alloy welding would react against the steel bearing but that he could insert some stainless tube instead. However as it turned out the tube wasn't the best of fits so a little more cleaning up of the welding was needed than I expected so out came the Dremel.












No comments:

Post a Comment