My Blog List

Sunday 21 July 2019

Elektronik Sachse and Motogadget

As my main aim was to keep the weight down on the last build I splashed out on both a Motogadget m-unit - that does away with the need for any relays or fusebox plus you get the wiring down to the bare minimum (even less than on mine) This Sachse crank mounted ignition also has the reg/rect built into it. Of course this all comes at a price with also the slight concern that should one part of it go wrong then you could be stuck calling for the breakdown etc. Anyway, best not to dwell on that too much as with both items being 'made in Germany' that in itself is a sign of quality.........Bloody Hope So Anyway!!




3 comments:

  1. I've installed 4-5 M-Units on my and a couple other bikes. Wonderful pieces of kit. Totally reliable. Have not tried out one of the M-Unit 'Blue' models though. Will be curious to hear your musings about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George, Mine isn't the 'blue' version so won't be able to add anything you don't already know. My concerns aren't particularly with the m-unit but that the bike is totally reliant on technology and that with points/contact breakers you can generally at least always limp home should a problem occur.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if my experience is typical and they keep up their quality, you
    should be fine. Only 2 in my direct experiance have failed and neither
    was the fault of the unit. I installed one on a Guzzi Eldorado. It was
    a V1 and the owner replaced the battery then connected it backwards to
    the M-Unit. The reverse polarity fried it. V2 added reverse polarity
    protection. I had a V1 that I installed on my Guzzi Eldorado die. The
    main A+ connection terminal at the alternator fractured from
    vibration, but was being held together by its rubber boot. This caused
    intermittent contact and voltage spikes that killed it. So again, not
    really the unit's fault.

    I had Sasche ignitions on 2 Guzzi's I've had in the past and never had
    a problem. I did get a voltage regulator from him and it died, but was
    replaced really fast w/ no questions.

    Anyway, I don't think you'll have problems. Here's a link to a Ducati
    750 GT project that I have and installed an M-Unit on. Never had a
    problem with this one, though the Dyna S ign packed it in as did the
    Electrex reg-rec and stator.

    http://forum.bevelheaven.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4543&start=45

    ReplyDelete