My Blog List

Thursday 14 June 2018

Last Sunday............

...........was the Guzzi Cafe Racer day at the Bike Shed HQ organised by Nick. I went but didn't make it as had to turn around at Newbury. I'd left Bristol on the A4 and must admit that some 30 - 40 mls into my journey thought that maybe my fairing was moving around a little more than it should. Carried on, thinking it was just my imagination, when it got to the point that I just had to check, especially before having to jump on the M4. There are four mounting points where where the tubes are welded to the headstock mounting plate and the top r/h one had sheared straight through. A couple of cable ties and I turned and headed for home when a few miles up the road I checked again and now the top l/h one had gone the same way. More cable ties and back on my way. Just before getting to Marlborough I had to stop again when I noticed a lot more movement and the fairing not pointing straight ahead. The bottom two had gone too, but rather than call out the Breakdown and wait around for 1 1/2 - 2 hours I decided to tie the whole thing up with virtually every cable tie that I had in my bag. Luckily I'd been carrying them around for quite a few weeks and from now on I think that'll be the norm. Having the bracket tied around the forks and clip ons certainly made for interesting slow speed turning  at junctions etc. Fairing now repaired and hopefully it's enough?



2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the "old days"....used to carry repair stuff.....when I had loopframes, I carried a length of regular electrical cord so I could run it from the battery to the headlight if the switch gear failed....did a lot of night riding back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim,I guess that maybe you had no 'breakdown' cover back then did you? I've been a bit too complacent (knowing that help is a phone call away) for many years as the Guzzi's haven't really thrown up much in the way of problems, but I was very glad to have had that whole bunch of ties with me that day.

      Delete